April is National Heartworm Awareness Month and El Paso Animal Services joined KTSM 9 News for Mutt Monday to share some important facts and tips to protect your pets:
- Heartworms are long thin parasitic roundworms that infect a variety of mammals and can be life-threatening.
- This parasite is transmitted by mosquitos which are most active in Spring and Summer.
- Dogs are most susceptible although cats can be infected as well but they are typically not a good host for the parasite.
- Early signs your pet may be infected are mild, persistent coughs, fatigue, decreased appetite, weight loss, fainting, and seizures.
- Heartworm is treatable although it is a long, complicated, and costly procedure, however heartworm can easily be prevented by getting your pet tested and using heartworm preventive.
- Consult with your veterinarian and visit EPVMA.org to find a low cost vet near you!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.